Well, another summer gone, and now into fall. This is my intended quarterly report to friends and family.
This chance to think back over the season leaves me wondering what the best event was. That’s fortunately a touch decision to make, with so many fun and important events, but I’m going to say the Peak2Peak walk with Walk San Francisco on September 7. I saw places I’d never seen before, including the mosaic on Moraga Steps, and the view from Grandview Park. It was fun walking with people I didn’t know and listening to their perspectives on San Francisco neighborhoods and livability.
I had planned on a big backpack into the Granite Chief over Labor Day weekend, but the Rim Fire was dumping smoke directly over that area, so I decided to continue my American Discovery Trail project from Antioch westward, but then I just ran out of energy and spent the weekend catching up on sleep and work and life. Well, at least there are two more trip times scheduled for this fall.
- Peak2Peak walk in San Francisco, hosted by Walk San Francisco
- Sunday Streets SF: Tenderloin, Western Addition, The Mission, Great Highway
- social bike rides including Tour de Brews, sponsored by SABA to New Helvetia & Track 7, and West Sacramento Farmers Market; Tour de Vino, Moonlight Ride, Perseid Meteor Shower ride
- backpack in the Granite Chief Wilderness – PCT
- co-led two Tahoe Rim Trail Assocation segment hikes, Spooner to Kingsbury North, and Barker Pass to Tahoe City; also attended the TRTA Guide Training
- backpack in the Granite Chief Wilderness – Picayune Valley
- backpacked the entire Tahoe Rim Trail in two trips, Tahoe City to Big Meadows, and Big Meadows to Tahoe City
- several contra dances in Sacramento
- sacred circle dancing in El Cerrito
- August Gaskell Ball, Oakland
- circle dance at the Amphitheatre, Ben Lomond, hosted by Barbara Thomas
- special fifth Saturday dance in Truckee, Joyce Miller and Hot Cider
- contra dance in San Francisco with The Avant Gardners (Laura Light)
- West Coast Circle Dance Camp, Aptos CA: five days of sacred circle dancing in the redwoods; good friends to talk with and dance with, centering dances
- Draw the Line bicycle rally in Davis (350.org)
- Summer Heat climate change/climate justice rally in Richmond (350.org)
- The Exploratorium and other time with my friend Barbara
- Celtic music at De Vere’s on Sunday afternoons, when in town
- Plough and Stars, San Francisco, for the Irish session that people have been telling me about for years, and I finally made it, great music